My first month as a volunteer - July and its winged shoes

Hello I'm Elisa, I come from the south west of France and I'm very excited about this new chapter of my life. I wanted to practice spanish and do theater, this project seemed to fit perfectly! 🙌

I can't believe how quickly the month of July has flown by, I've experienced so much in such a short time and feel very lucky to be part of this volunteer program. I'm sure I won't be able to retrace everything that's happened, what I've lived, thought and experienced, but if I had to sum up this first month at Camprovin I'd say intense, creative, full of encounters and joy. 

I arrive in Camprovin at the end of the day, by car, as I'm 3 hours from my parents' home in the Basque country. I'm greeted by Annika, a German volunteer who's been here for 2 months. She shows me around the village and invites me to dine together on the terrace of the apartment she shares with Elise and Marta, as well as the office. We speak a lot and I already feel super good here, the paintings on the walls delight me and I have a feeling I'm going to like this soft, colorful atmosphere. The surrounding nature is soothing, and I love hearing the birds sing day and night. I'm staying in the house of Sandra, Fernando, Magdalena and Maria; they're a welcoming family and I feel right at home in the house. 

The first few days at the office are mainly spent getting used to the place and understanding the organization. I meet Monica, who works for On&Off; there are 3 of us in the office, as the others are either on vacation or in Naples for a group project. I settle in and get a better idea of what's at stake for me and the Rural Art Summer project, where we'll be hosting 10 European volunteers for a month.

The following week I gradually meet the other volunteers and members of the association, Chiara, Elise, Silvia, Yanis, Marta and Macarena. I also take part in 3 days of theater workshops in Nalda for young people with Silvia, Annika, Chiara and Elise. We're working on rumors about migration and feminism. I'm glad I'm already involved in theater workshops, that's what I've been looking forward to. The workshops are based on games to get to know each other better in the group, and reflection around these two subjects, which we translate with the body. It's not an easy exercise, as I'm not yet at ease in Spanish, but it's a pleasant moment, and Marta is there to support me linguistically. 

Friday 14th is already the time to pick up the volunteers in Logrono or Najera. They'll be staying in a large house below the village, a very pleasant and spacious place that we've prepared for their arrival. The first weekend is devoted to getting-to-know-you games and brainstorming to organize the month ahead, prepare the schedule, explain and assign missions to everyone. I'm joining the social media team for this month, figuring it's going to be stimulating and there'll be plenty to discover and create, and I'm also joining the drama team for the performative road we will perform during Camprovinarte.

The first week of Rural Art Summer consists of preparing Camprovinarte, with theater workshops, taking part in village activities such as Baila Como tu quieras, Camprogreen, the sewing workshop where local people meet at the bar with their sewing, crochet and knitting projects, and Spanish lessons given by Elisa. The days are filled with interesting discussions, meetings, creative workshops, music, moments of reflection, sunshine - it's all very stimulating. I'm impressed by the freedom we're given and the range of possibilities available to us: if we want to propose an activity or ideas, for the performative road for example, we're listened to and taken into account. There's a lot of autonomy and trust in the team, which is very appreciable. On the weekend, I go with Asia and Flo to Martin's to see how he makes beer, and the next day we go to Anguiano to see the traditional dancers. The following week is Camprovinarte, the village art festival in which we propose a performative road in connection with the murals that run through Camprovin. We also help the five artists who have come to install a work in the village, each artistic project is unique and interesting.

Every day I meet new people and get to know the people around me. Free time is devoted to visiting the surrounding villages, going to the bar, sharing meals with everyone, strolling through the village streets, going to the river, playing games. 

The month of July ends with a dance show, a concert, the creators' market (where we helped Rosa with Annika to prepare and sell sandwiches in aid of the Vive Camprovin association) and the general party. I'm still realizing the extent of what I've done and learned during this month. I've met incredible people and felt really happy. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

December on the run

A vibrant and soothing August